News Releases 2012
Kuraray to Release CLAPURE
A Functional Nonwoven Fabric Incorporating Pellets That Contain Oil and Features Long-Lasting Effectiveness
October 16, 2012
Kuraray Living Co., Ltd.
(The Kuraray Group)
Kuraray Living Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Osaka City; President: Masao Toryu; hereafter "Kuraray Living"; a wholly owned subsidiary of Kuraray Co., Ltd.) has developed and commenced sales of CLAPURE brand functional nonwoven fabrics, which feature long-lasting insect control and antibacterial effectiveness.
CLAPURE is propylene nonwoven fabric that incorporates within its fibers a slow-release oil in polymer emulsion (SROPE), proprietary pellets containing functional oil developed by Kuraray Living. Functional oil within CLAPURE's fibers slowly seeps out to enable long-lasting effectiveness.
Producing nonwoven fabrics with various functions tailored to different applications, Kuraray aims to expand the applications of CLAPURE into a diverse array of areas, ranging from standard household products to industrial uses.
1. Overview of CLAPURE Functional Nonwoven Fabric
- A propylene spunbond nonwoven fabric containing SROPE-derived functional oil
- Main Functions
- Antibacterial functions: Obtained the Japan Textile Evaluation Technology Council's (JTETC) SEK Mark *
- Anti-mold functions: Scheduled to acquire the JTETC's SEK Mark *
- Mite control functions
- Insect control functions
- Mosquito control functions
- Aroma-related functions
- * SEK Mark is applied to antibacterial, odor prevention and anti-mold products certified by the JTETC.
- Main Features
- Functional oil incorporated into nonwoven fabric slowly seeps out to enable long-lasting effectiveness compared with existing products.
- Possible to tailor functions to antibacterial, anti-mold and insect control applications in the health and safety field as well as aroma oil applications in the design field.
- Functional oil maintains the original texture of fibers without stickiness by gradually seeping from the interior to the surface of nonwoven fabrics.
- SROPE disperses microscopic oil drops (ranging in size from several hundred nanometers to several micrometers) to maintain the original texture of nonwoven fabric.
2. Intended Applications
- Standard household products: Garment bags, storage and foot care products, etc.
- Industrial applications: Packaging, agricultural and interior and apparel materials, etc.
Examples of products using CLAPURE
3. Sales Target
Initial fiscal year: ¥200 million
- A masterbatch pellet-shaped additive developed in 2006 with high-density functional oil contained within polymers
- Using Kuraray's proprietary interface polymer realizes a high-functional oil content rate of 20%.
- Acquired two patents in Japan and seven patents overseas
Diagram of SROPE masterbatch configuration
SROPE masterbatch oil content
Antibacterial activity value
Anti-mold activity value
Mite repellant ratio
- * The data listed in this reference is a representative example of measured values obtained under specific conditions, not verification.
- * Antibacterial activity value: JIS L 1902 (staphylococcus aureus)
SEK antibacterial/odor control production standard/antibacterial activity value ≥2.2
- * Anti-mold activity value: Anti-mold qualitative reliability testing method established by the JTETC
SEK antibacterial/odor control production standard/anti-mold activity value ≥2.0
- * Mite repellant ratio: Mite repellant testing method established by the Interior-fabrics Performance Evaluation Conference
Mite repellant performance criteria: Mite repellant ratio of 50% or above
||Kuraray Living Co., Ltd.
||Umeda Hankyu Building Office Tower, 39F, 8-1, Kakudacho, Kita-ku, Osaka City, Osaka Prefecture
||Masao Toryu, Representative Director and President
||¥11.8 million (100% owned by Kuraray Co., Ltd.)
||Manufacture and sale of nonwoven fabrics and other textiles, packaging materials, SROPE functional masterbatch, etc.