News Releases 2011
Creating Business in the Energy Field
Notice Concerning the Commercialization of Concentrating Lens for Solar Power Generation
Based on Orders from a Largest U.S. Solar Power Concentrating Photovoltaic System Maker
April 22, 2011
Kuraray Co., Ltd.
Kuraray Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo; President: Fumio Ito; "Kuraray") today announced the commercialization of a concentrating lens and supplied them to Amonix Inc, the leading designer and manufacturer of concentrated photovoltaic (CPV) solar power systems. Under the slogan, "Creation and Expansion of New Businesses," Kuraray has engaged in the GS-Twins three-year medium-term action plan since fiscal 2009 and positioned "environment," "energy" and "optical and electronic business" as its core areas. As part of efforts in the energy area, Kuraray has promoted the development of a concentrating lens that serves as a key component of solar power concentrating photovoltaic systems.
Aiming to achieve its corporate vision of ¥1 trillion net sales by 2018, Kuraray will continue its efforts to create and expand new businesses.
Concentrated photovoltaic solar power system
Background of Business Development
- Kuraray is producing methacrylic resin, which is a raw material for concentrating lenses
- Improved methacrylic resin can secure highly reliable products
- Kuraray can leverage its accumulated precision molding technology for the laser disk and opto-screen businesses
Characteristics and Advantages of Kuraray lenses
- With improved methacrylic resin, the lens realizes excellent light resistance and water resistance
- With advanced transcription properties based on precision molding technology, the lens realizes a high degree of precision and light-concentrating efficiency
- Realizes 31% of the most efficient photovoltaic modules, even with conventional solar power generation technology
- Amonix is a global market share leader in concentrated photovoltaic (CPV) solar power systems with a market share of over 70%.
- Amonix expanded manufacturing capacity in a newly constructed concentrated photovoltaic (CPV) system production plant with an annual production capacity of 150MW in Las Vegas, Nevada. Amonix began producing systems in this facilty in March, 2011. Kuraray is planning for full-scale production and supply of lenses to this plant.
Amonix is the recognized leader in designing and manufacturing concentrated photovoltaic (CPV) solar power systems that require no water in power production, use land better, and produce more energy per acre than any other solar technology. With the longest track record of real-world CPV deployments in the industry, Amonix is proven to be the best choice for solar power systems in sunny and dry climates. Amonix is headquartered with a manufacturing facility in Seal Beach, California. For more information, visit http://www.amonix.com.
About CPV solar power photovoltaic systems
- A power generation system that concentrates solar light by over 500 times by using a lens or mirror and irradiating it into a small power generation cell
- Miniaturizing the size of high-performance, power generation cells can generate electricity more efficiently and at competitive prices.
- Solar power concentrating photovoltaic systems are used together with a device that accurately traces the movement of the sun in order to efficiently concentrate solar light to the power generation cell.
- To fully leverage the power generation cell's performance, CPV solar power systems are most suitable for large-scale power generation plants in such regions as deserts, where a large amount of solar radiation is available. The system can fully exercise its capability in areas with a large amount of solar radiation over long hours.
Solar light concentrated by a lens is irradiated into a high-performance solar cell